Tea For Two & Murder Somewhere...

"It's time for you to close the book and write a new story", he said. That was it. That was all. That summed up our 3 years together, get over it and move on. Never mind that I was enjoying the book, enjoying the characters and the twist the plot had taken. The worst part was that I wasn't finished reading the book! How does someone not finish reading a book? Is this legal? This is something unheard of for me. How does one simply move on? I need to know how it ends!

Is everyone a tad lost now? Perhaps I need to provide a flash back scene in my novel...it was March 2019. It started as a normal day, just like any other day...Heck! Who am I kidding, I'm not a novelist. Let's get to the point - I lost my job. After working for the last 35 years of my life I found myself unemployed!

Almost 4 months into this unemployed state and I'm only just beginning to get a handle on things. The first month I swear I was in a complete state of shock. I slept most of the time. The rest of the time was spent crying. I grieved The Team, my co-workers, and my old boss. I was in a constant state of panic. In hind sight I don't think I should have applied to all those jobs.


The 2nd month was a whirlwind of interviewing. Since I applied to pretty much any job I saw in my field I had a plethora (oh! I have always wanted to use that word!) of interviews. This was an extremely exciting time for me, as it opened my eyes to the unlimited possibilities in front of me. I could live ANYWHERE! And I could work ANYWHERE! Unfortunately my further investigation deemed I needed to stay in Canada unless I received sponsorship...any companies in the UK reading this interested in sponsoring me??? 😊

My interviewing took me all over the country. What a fantastic experience! I was learning so much! Towards the end of the 3rd month all my leads had dried up and I was still without a job. I did have a couple of job offers, which I turned down, they were not what I was looking for at this time. It was shortly after that the bottom fell out. 

I pulled away from everyone and isolated myself. I got sick and tired of hearing "It wasn't meant to be" and "everything happens for a reason". While hibernating I read an interesting article by Thomas Koulopoulos that suggested that we let go of the myth that "everything happens for a reason". Perhaps there was a reason I came across this article (bahahahahaha). The article referred to situations where things don't go as planned - people either tend to accept that it wasn't meant to be or they tend to try to understand why it happened. Thomas suggested a third option - create meaning out of disappointment.

Whether you agree or disagree, this got me to thinking. How can I create value from what I consider to be a bad event? So here I am, the beginning of bringing value to my current situation of unemployment, writing about my journey.

Peace

"The responsibility for success is on you; so is the responsibility for creating meaning out of life's biggest disappointments" ~ Thomas Koulopoulos


Comments