Life is Too Short to Be Vanilla

Sometimes I think I am too optimistic. I see potential in so many things and can quickly become passionate about each and every one. It's like going to Baskin Robbins with 31 flavours to choose from! I don't have a favourite flavour. I like ALL of them, except chocolate, well some times I like chocolate...see what I mean? I know what I don't like. Other than that I am open to everything and rarely have a favourite - my choices often depend on my mood.

So I have been spending a lot of time thinking about my values. The ones I hold near and dear to my heart, the ones that when not met cause me to walk away and close the door. I have the opportunity to find a job that aligns with my values and this is what I intend to do! I know they exist. I know people who do this, yet all I hear is a job is a job. A job does not define you. A job is a means to an end.


I don't understand why I can't do something that brings me joy? Is there a reason a job needs to be a means to an end? I do understand that there will always be challenges, frustrations and things that upset you in your work life. Still I believe that ideally one would want to have a job that brings them more joy than misery. Am I too naive? Too idealistic? Too much of a dreamer?

I have landed on helping people as something that is important to me in a job as it is one of core values. My issue is my scope is very broad. There are so many ways to help people, in fact far too many ways. When I take my skills, knowledge and experience into account the scope narrows slightly. When I exclude the things I don't like I can reduce the list substantially. The end result is still 5-6 different types of roles in various area, which in my opinion is still too many. 

Everything I read says to stick with my past experience. Trouble is, life is too short to stay with the same flavour of ice cream when there are so many other flavours out there for you to try!

Peace

Comments